Qur’an Gate 2017-03-08
Qur’an Gate is a historical gate located in northeastern entrance of the city of Shiraz in the canyon of Allah-o Akbar between Chehel Maqam Mountain and Baba-Koohi Mountain located at the exit of Shiraz towards the city of Marvdasht. This monument is located near Tavoosieh square in Shiraz. Qur’an Gate is less than 10 meters far from Khajavi Kermani tomb, less than five hundred meters far from Jahan Nama Garden, and less than a thousand meters far from the shrine of famous Persian poet Hafez-e Shirazi and Jahan Nama Garden. This is one of the most beautiful Islamic gates. The gate was originally built by Aḍud al-Dawla, the ruler of the Byid Dynasty.
It should be noted that the construction of this building so far has been reconstructed 3 times, the last of which going back to 1949. Qur’an Gate encountered lots of damages caused by several earthquakes in the Qajar period, but then repaired by Mohammad Zaki Khan-e Nouri. The gate was renovated during Zandiyeh Era by the order of Karim Khan Zand and a chamber was added on top of it and two large exquisite Qur’an written by Soltan Ibrahim Ibn-e Shahrokh-e Teimouri were placed in the top chamber. These Qur’ans, known as “Qur’an-e Hefdah-Man” (weighted 51 kg), has been transferred from Qur’an Gate to Pars Museum and are still kept in there. It was destroyed by Reza Khan in 1935 but again was reconstructed by a shirazian merchant, Haj Hossein Iegar, also known as E’temad Al-Tejar.