Eram Garden 2017-03-07
Eram Garden is a historic Persian garden in Shiraz, Iran.
The garden, and the building within it, located along the northern shore of the Khoshk River in Shiraz, are one of the most famous and beautiful Persian gardens in all of Iran.
It has a great atmosphere surrounded by tall cypress trees, fragrant flowers, and aromatic sour orange trees.
both the building and the garden were built during the middle of thirteenth century by the Ilkhanate or a paramount chief of the Qashqai tribes of Pars.
Although no one is quite sure when construction of the gardens began, historical evidence suggests that the gardens were built during the Seljuk Dynasty (11th-14th centuries) under the rule of one of its most celebrated monarchs Ahmad Sanjar.
The original layout of the garden however, with its quadripartite Persian Paradise garden structure was most likely laid in eleventh century by the Seljuks, and was then referred to as Bagh-Shah (The emperor’s garden in Persian) and was much less complicated or ornamental.
Over its 150 years, the structure has been modified, restored or stylistically changed by various participants. Like many other attractions in Shiraz, the Eram Gardens have been restored and repaired by the Zand Kings of the Zand Dynasty (1750-1794), but during the later period of the Zand dynasty, the garden changed hands to a Qashgai tribal chief, Mohammad Qoli Khan.
Today, Eram Garden and building are within Shiraz Botanical Garden of Shiraz University. They are open to the public as a historic landscape garden.
They are World Heritage Site, and protected by Iran’s Cultural Heritage Organization.