Arg of Karim Khan 2017-03-08
Arg of Karim Khan
The Karim Khan Castle is a citadel located in downtown Shiraz. This structure can be easily found at a corner of Shahrdary Square, close to Shiraz Bazaar.
It was built as part of a complex during the Zand dynasty and is named after Karim Khan, and served as his living quarters.
At times, the citadel was used as a prison. Today, it is a museum operated by Iran’s cultural Heritage Organization.
Karim Khan Castle is also known as Arg-e Karim Khan, Karim Khan’s Castle or citadel of Karim Khan.
Arg-e Karim Khan was built in 1180 AH. Karim Khan invited the best architects and artists of the time and bought the best materials from other cities and abroad for the construction of the Castle of Karim Khan, which was quickly constructed.
During the Zand dynasty it was used by the king as living quarters. During the Qajar period it was used as the governor’s seat.
After the fall of the Qajar dynasty it was converted into a prison and the paintings were plastered over. In 1971 it was given to Iran’s Cultural Heritage Organization.
Agriculturally, the Arg is a large and lofty, rectangular building, originally surrounded by a moat said to be as broad and deep the moat on the edge of the city. At each of the four corners are round towers in the form of truncated cones; these are 15m high.
East to West: 124.8 m
North to South: 93.6 m
Outer Walls: 12 m
Rectangular courtyard inside: 93.6 m by 72.8 m
In the middle of the north, west and south sides of the courtyard are three big ayvans, each fronted by two tail stone pillars.